Rocket/Space Game (Was "Rigid body rotations")

A spot for all things TestTube
A Random Player

Re: Rigid body rotations

Post by A Random Player »

Ok, so after a failed attempt at collision detection (or an insanely laggy one, I forgot which), a very laggy version, and a restructuring of planets, crashing works! (somewhat. you don't actually crash, more like bounce off the planet.) Still somewhat laggy (16^2 (256) warp noticeable, comparable to pre-ground 16^3 (4096) warp). Scared of what would happen when I add more planets - I might actually have to use patched conics. I don't really want to though, it's implemented a lot more complicatedly.

So right now, either optimizations, fixing some placeholders, or atmosphere. Also need to figure out why high lunar orbit is so unstable.

(Also why was no-one posting recently?)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I have no clue. As to what to work on next, I'd go with optimization. Good luck on that!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:(Also why was no-one posting recently?)
Midterms?

Also, as long as you can still see everything and understand what's happening, I'd go w/ adding stuff in, because otherwise you take a long time making stuff perfect (aka ~TES~), then you look back and see how little you actually got done and get really frustrated, plus you can always optimize later.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
A Random Player

exfret wrote:
Midterms?

Also, as long as you can still see everything and understand what's happening, I'd go w/ adding stuff in, because otherwise you take a long time making stuff perfect (aka ~TES~), then you look back and see how little you actually got done and get really frustrated, plus you can always optimize later.
My midterms are still in ~a week :P
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:My midterms are still in ~a week :P
Exactly, you only have one week to study for them. One of one of (purposeful, hopefully grammatical repetition) my club's meetings was canceled so people could study for midterms. Also, it's probably due to adjusting to doing work after the break. The most significant thing is probably me not posting, though. I probably start 50% of the threads here nowadays. :P
A Random Player

exfret wrote:
A Random Player wrote:My midterms are still in ~a week :P
Exactly, you only have one week to study for them. One of one of (purposeful, hopefully grammatical repetition) my club's meetings was canceled so people could study for midterms. Also, it's probably due to adjusting to doing work after the break. The most significant thing is probably me not posting, though. I probably start 50% of the threads here nowadays. :P
5/25 (20%) in General, (5+0+0+5+1+2+0=13)/118 (11.0%) in entire forum.
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:5/25 (20%) in General, (5+0+0+5+1+2+0=13)/118 (11.0%) in entire forum.
Are you looking at my total posting stats, or have you added that up? Notice how I wrote, "Nowadays." I was specifically excluding the time around the beginning of the school year when I was posting less and all the threads you started before I registered or got comfortable enough with the fora to move on to other threads than just my own series of levels. So, If ~70% of the posts are occurring in general at this time in the forum (and that would be a reasonable guesstimate given the time that the the General forum has been the only one to have been posted in), and I take up 20% of posts in General w/o even limiting it to a recent time period, then I think that saying I take up ~50% of the posts nowadays would actually be pretty reasonable.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

As for me... my to do list. Buncha' crunch on getting TES out the door. But I'm around...
A Random Player

Ok, major change of plans - switching to patched conics. At 65536x warp, the game is extremely laggy, with only 3 celestial bodies (and no ships), and the earth still moves slower than the second hand on a clock. Patched conics will make warp require significantly less calculations, but with more complicated ones. Paths will also be much faster, and won't require a numerical simulation everytime you want to view one. The main problem is converting from position/velocity vectors to Keplerian elements and back. The internet isn't very helpful, especially in 2 dimensions. I can find a and e (and thus p, Pe, and Ap), but not ω or M_0 (or ν) :( Any help?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Ok, major change of plans - switching to patched conics. At 65536x warp, the game is extremely laggy, with only 3 celestial bodies (and no ships), and the earth still moves slower than the second hand on a clock. Patched conics will make warp require significantly less calculations, but with more complicated ones. Paths will also be much faster, and won't require a numerical simulation everytime you want to view one. The main problem is converting from position/velocity vectors to Keplerian elements and back. The internet isn't very helpful, especially in 2 dimensions. I can find a and e (and thus p, Pe, and Ap), but not ω or M_0 (or ν) :( Any help?
Patched conics? Warp? I'm a bit confused - sounds like you're talking about your gravity simulator there... but obviously it's more than that. What's causing the lag? Does it have to do with a prediction line (which needs to cast everything in the world forward in time)?