I made a game!

A spot for all things TestTube
robly18

Re: I made a game!

Post by robly18 »

I was planning on adding a few features, but for the time being I'll focus more on getting C++ working. Nothing against python, but I just think it's less than optimal if I ever plan on doing something more complex.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:I was planning on adding a few features, but for the time being I'll focus more on getting C++ working. Nothing against python, but I just think it's less than optimal if I ever plan on doing something more complex.
Python isn't bad, just not many things use it. There are some websites/things like that that use python.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

My complaint isn't quality, it's just that I would prefer to spread out code over multiple files for example.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Java's good for that, too. Of course, I've never learned C++, so I'm in no position to make any suggestions, plus I'm probably a bit too biased towards java due to me knowing it and not C++ and imagining C++ as a more confusing and frustrating programming language due to its lesser object-orientedness. I probably should learn it some day.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I've actually been doing some research myself on the java vs C++ argument. I eventually settled for C++, at least for the time being, due to me hearing plenty of people say java is not optimized.
exfret

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:I've actually been doing some research myself on the java vs C++ argument. I eventually settled for C++, at least for the time being, due to me hearing plenty of people say java is not optimized.
Well, I guess that's true, but in my opinion, java is less confusing (based on what I've heard from my father), and there is only a small difference in optimization (it's not like java runs 10 fps while C++ runs 100 fps w/o any problems), so unless you're making some professional console game or something, it doesn't really make much of a difference. You can also learn to program minecraft mods if you learn java, but if you're really into programming, the best thing for you to do would be to probably try out as many programming languages as possible. So just keep java in mind once you can wrap your head around C++.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

exfret wrote:
robly18 wrote:I've actually been doing some research myself on the java vs C++ argument. I eventually settled for C++, at least for the time being, due to me hearing plenty of people say java is not optimized.
Well, I guess that's true, but in my opinion, java is less confusing (based on what I've heard from my father), and there is only a small difference in optimization (it's not like java runs 10 fps while C++ runs 100 fps w/o any problems), so unless you're making some professional console game or something, it doesn't really make much of a difference. You can also learn to program minecraft mods if you learn java, but if you're really into programming, the best thing for you to do would be to probably try out as many programming languages as possible. So just keep java in mind once you can wrap your head around C++.
Yeah, that's what i had in mind.

Side note: I decided to try out Visual Basic, because it looked like it was easy enough to code in and looked better than ASCII art.

Spent the last... What, three hours? Trying to install visual studio, due to some stupid bug. I'm currently trying to fix it. I'll keep you updated. However, if this doesn't work out, I will be very mad.

Three.
Bloody.
Hours.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Alright, so. After six hours, I finally had to go to bed. Not without giving up though. I had to make a last stand.
Here was the plan: after all the fixes I tried, after all the previous versions I uninstalled (I tried the web version one, didn't work because wrong version of windows), after all searching I'd done, I figured I might as well try the old trick of uninstalling and reinstalling it. And so I did. Did a quick uninstall, had it be reinstalled overnight.
This morning I got up. Got dressed. The usual. I turned on the computer screen... And was met with a bugged installer. The loading bars were nowhere near full and it said it was installing something. Yet, the button that usually said cancel now said "Launch".
I figured, might as well click it. The window closed.
A new window opened. Saying first time setup.

I was thrilled! I still haven't gotten around to testing it per se, but I tried opening and seeing if it at least looked like it was working properly. It did.
I'll check back, but for now I just really, REALLY hope it is working properly.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh my, that sounds familiar, robly. I remember the first time I tried to set up flash... it was a couple evenings battling with installations. Cryptic errors, prerequisites I never heard of, and navigating corners of my hard drive I didn't know existed. Isn't *making* the game supposed to be the hard part?!?

But it pays off. And I'm glad it sounds like you vanquished this particular demon.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I concur: it does pay off.
Already made a basic program that computes whether a number is prime or not... With a few exceptions. Notably, it considers 1 and 0 to be prime. Which I will be fixing.
Until the quick patch though, enjoy my first, independently made program: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ofx5 ... ation1.exe
I must say: visual basic, unlike python and C++, and basically every language I've worked with, appears to have pretty notable focus towards being presentable.
Because, well, I can't say a command line is exactly the kind of window you like to see in your programs.
I'm still far, far away from doing something like what ARP is doing. I'll sure as heck strive to do so, though!

EDIT: Still ain't fixed that. It's low priority anyway, so I figured I'd try something else.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7023b ... plication2
A sort of calculator, with which you can add, multiply or (for the lack of a better word) exponentiate any two numbers.