Who wants to play tic tac toe?

A spot for all things TestTube
robly18

Who wants to play tic tac toe?

Post by robly18 »

I present to you my first "actual" game with graphics that are not in text! Meet Rob's Tic Tac Toe!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m6ed1 ... ase(5).rar

Sadly, this is an .exe. Sorry for those who have macs, I simply have no clue how to make a program for mac using visual studio.

EDIT: Newer version, remade from scratch, with actual graphics and an AI!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tak9z ... cToeV1.rar
Last edited by robly18 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Re: Who wants to play tic tac toe?

Post by A Random Player »

"This file is currently set to private."
Edit: It was fixed. I can't unzip rars though.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Sorry, there are a bunch of bugs I'm trying to fix related to visual studio.
I'm trying to fix, but until further notice, please stand by.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Alright, this version should work.
As for you not being able to unzip rars, well... I have no clue how to help.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Got it working (kinda) There are just colored squares instead of (what I presume) are graphics. So I've been learning through a bit of trial and error: yellow rectangle = quit, blue rectangle = play. That kinda thing. Not sure if that's (a) a bug, or (b) an issue particular to me, since I'm using Wine to run this on a mac.

Also, any reason you upload it as a .rar instead of as a .zip file? I had to go grab some special .rar software to extract it. Now, assuming this is okay, robly, I converted it to .zip and put it on my server. That way, Random *should* be able to check it out.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

testtubegames wrote:Got it working (kinda) There are just colored squares instead of (what I presume) are graphics. So I've been learning through a bit of trial and error: yellow rectangle = quit, blue rectangle = play. That kinda thing. Not sure if that's (a) a bug, or (b) an issue particular to me, since I'm using Wine to run this on a mac.

Also, any reason you upload it as a .rar instead of as a .zip file? I had to go grab some special .rar software to extract it. Now, assuming this is okay, robly, I converted it to .zip and put it on my server. That way, Random *should* be able to check it out.
I got it to work. The graphics are a 3x3 grid of solid squares (and colored rectangles as main menu). There are instructions (which should have opened in a separate window in cmd):

Code: Select all

Welcome to Rob's tic tac toe.
This [sic] my first "actual" game, so expect things to be a bit lackluster, especially in terms of graphics. Enjoy anyway.

Welcome to the main menu.

Blue button: Start game
Yellow button: Exit
Clicking on yellow:

Code: Select all

Welcome to the game. Click a square to play. The square on the topright indicates whose turn it is.

White button: Reset
Yellow button: Back to main menu
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Ah, that instructions window didn't open up for me.

Well, beyond that issue, it worked well for me. I love how you added in a separate menu screen. Isn't it funny how little things like that can make it 'feel' like so much more of a game?
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Yeah. Sorry about the graphics thing. I spent the whole time thinking "I'll add sprites in the end" but then I looked back and realized the way the code was structured simply didn't allow for sprites without nearly a full redo of the entire thing.

Also, the reason it was as a .rar was because I am an idiot when it comes to zipping. I'll see if I can zip it next time. Thanks for the help.
Also, next time I'll see if I can use static DLLs so that everything comes packed with the .exe, so all I need to send is it.

But yes, the main thing I was going after was really the main menu. Indeed, those things do make it feel much more like a game. However, I still need to work a bit more until actually having something worth showing off!

Anyway, apologies for all the technical issues.
Also, I've decided to try out code::blocks for my next project. Maybe with it I can actually do something mac compatible. And I'll *try* to add in sprites. No promise that they'll be good though. If there's something I am not is a graphics designer.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:And I'll *try* to add in sprites. No promise that they'll be good though. If there's something I am not is a graphics designer.
I call Shenanigans! It'll look awesome.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Oh dear! I'd forgotten about those! Haha!
I'll do my best. Either way, if it doesn't look good, I can always edit the textures until they're presentable anyway!
Anyway, that's a job for some other day. For now, I have tic tac toe done and that's that!
As for next step... I'll try to come up with some other game to plagri-- I mean, be inspired by. My goal here is to get the hang of this library and C++ as a whole, not design brand new games!

Can't wait until I'm skilled enough to stop ripping off-- I mean, borrowing from other games. Then I'll finally be able to make something that I came up with and not someone else!

EDIT: By the way, if anyone's interested, I could see if I could post the source code here. Trust me, under that mess of lack of sprites and nearly malfunctioning crap is a bunch of even worse of a mess of code, classes, virtual functions and I have no clue.

I really need to get better at this.

Oh well. Still way better than that old code I used to make that gave me the Fibonacci sequence.