Random Google Thing (RGT)

A spot for all things TestTube
exfret

Random Google Thing (RGT)

Post by exfret »

1) Go to this url:

https://www.google.com/search?q=e%5Ee%5 ... 9999999999

2) Explore:

a) Add an extra nine. The calculator goes away (too much to calculate... hm...)
        i. There were 2^4 digits before your addition of an extra nine.

b) Change 1023.999999999999 to 1024. The calculator goes away (too much to calculate... hm...)
        i. 1024 is 2^10... So, not only are the calculator's limits dictated by a power of two, but they're dictated by a power of two that is a power of two.

3) Isn't this cool how you can see the limits of calculation like this?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Re: Random Google Thing (RGT)

Post by robly18 »

If you remove a bunch, you get this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=e^e^6.56495888501778912

What were you doing looking up e^e^6.56495888501778912?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:If you remove a bunch, you get this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=e^e^6.56495888501778912

What were you doing looking up e^e^6.56495888501778912?
Once again, you put the [/url] in the wrong place... Or something happened, idk. Anyways, that's kind of cool how you can tell someone's search history from that. BTW, if you change the last 2 to a 3, then it can't do it (it's on the very edges of its memory ability for large numbers). The reason I was searching that was because I had just learned of logarithmically convex functions, which are functions that are convex, even after you take the logarithm of them, so I decided to think of functions that were double logarithmically convex. Of course, e^e^x isn't double logarithmically convex, but it's related. So, after graphing e^e^x on fooplot.com (which doesn't know its order of operations in that it goes left to right when evaluating powers, so I actually graphed e^(e^x)), I decided to graph log(e^(e^x)) and log(log(e^(e^x)) for comparison. log(log(e^(e^x))) had some weirdness going on around six and a half, so I googled log(log(e^e^~6.5)) (cuz google knows its order of ops), and then I tried e^e^7, and I started narrowing it down, and low and behold, google had about the same breaking point as fooplot. My brother actually came around after I left the computer and he narrowed it down a bunch more digits than I did. So there's the story of how I got to that google search...

Now if you want to know why I was curious about superconvex functions (another name for logarithmically convex)... I was on a wikipedia article on the gamma function, and it said it was superconvex, and that sounded pretty cool, so I tried to figure out what that meant. I got to the gamma function from wondering about the factorials of decimals (which the gamma function is used for). I was wondering about the factorial of decimals cuz you posted about my 0.3!!!!! comment. So ultimately, this is all your fault.

But.. Why'd you post that in the first place? Because I was wondering why the forum was silent and posted about it and ARP responded saying that we were waiting for GSim version 0.29.03, which ultimately lead to the comment about 0.3!!!!!. So, if we go back even further, I (or, more accurately, my brother) was searching e^e^6.56495888501778912 because the testtubegames forum was silent. Chaos, oh chaos.

Edit: My brother told me to say he was still narrowing it down when he had to get off the computer.
exfret

Post by exfret »

I've never seen that 'bump' button... And to think that I wouldn't see it for longer if the forum hadn't been silent... Chaos.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

There's a bump button?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:There's a bump button?
Ikr! It was at the bottom to the right of the board index button and it said "bump topic."
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

But it only appears if you started the thread. Normally, only "subscribe" and "bookmark" are visible down there, but if you're viewing a thread that you began, "bump topic" will appear as well. Very out of the way even when it does appear. I never would have thought to look for it if exfret hadn't said where it was.
exfret

Post by exfret »

No, it appears even if you haven't started a topic. For example, just to test it out, I'm gonna bump some topic after posting this. It's just that the topic can't even be near the top.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Not true. I tried to bump the oldest topic in the GSim forum. No button. Tried the oldest topic in this forum. No button. Went to the "Feedback" topic I started when I first came here. Button appeared. Unless post count factors into this somehow, the button only appears on topics that you started.
exfret

Post by exfret »

First, I myself bumped a topic that I didn't start (evolution simulator in And The Rest). So, that still doesn't explain why I was able to do that. Anyways, I saw a simple answer to this problem: maybe you can only bump topics you posted in, which would make sense, as you probably weren't around to post in the most ancient topics of these fora (ancient sounds way cooler than 'oldest'). In fact, even I wasn't around then, so I went to the oldest topic in this specific forum (general chat, of which the topic was "This Makes Sense..."), and I saw if I could bump it. I couldn't. Long story made short, it appears that the criteria for being able to bump a topic are: 1. You participated in it, and 2. No one has posted in it for quite some time.