Re: How do I slide rules?

Post by exfret »

What about other operations?

Like starting a new page?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
caennmor

Post by caennmor »

I recently downloaded the slide rule app and have been playing with it for a few days. Could you please let me know what the "Brake" and "Add Snap" buttons do? Also, how do I clear the "Snaps" I have accidentally created. Thanks, John.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

caennmor wrote:Could you please let me know what the "Brake" and "Add Snap" buttons do? Also, how do I clear the "Snaps" I have accidentally created.
Sure thing!

If you hold down the brakes button, when you move the slide rule, it will move slower. Think of it as an easy way to fine-tune your calculations.

The add snap button places a line on the screen at one of the ends (1 or 10) of the middle rule. This line will let you easily snap to that position. The thought was, if you're doing a certain calculation a lot, like multiplying by square root of two, you can mark it on the slide rule and easily find it when you need it. As you slide by the number, the rule will tend to snap to it, or you can push one of the buttons that's created at the top of the screen.

To clear a snap, just click on one of the brown 'snap' buttons that appear along the top - and then a 'clear snap' button will appear at the bottom. Hit it, and repeat until all the snaps are gone.
caennmor

Post by caennmor »

Great stuff. Many thanks for your help.
John.