Bug

Safer than Professor Rex's office hours
nimblenim

Bug

Post by nimblenim »

On level 28: go to the left of the cannon shooting downwards, stop, than rush down until you hit the wall and stop. You are then in the same frame of reference as initially, but the bullets going downwards stay distorted.

I love the game....
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Bug

Post by testtubegames »

Hey nimblenim! Welcome - glad you're enjoying Velocity Raptor.

I think the thing you're noticing in Level 28 is actually a cool bit of physics, as opposed to a bug. Is what you're noticing the fact that if you are at the top of the screen, those bullets are squished together -- while if you're at the bottom, they're spread apart?

You may be in the same frame of reference at both times (sitting absolutely still in the room), but your position is important. When the bullets are moving away from you, their light is taking ever longer to reach you... which means they appear to move slower, and they bunch up. When they move towards you, their light is reaching you ever faster, so they seem to move faster across the screen.

Now for an extra bit of confusion, bonus points to anyone who can connect this all to redshift and blueshift.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote: Now for an extra bit of confusion, bonus points to anyone who can connect this all to redshift and blueshift.
Less and more space between the 'crests' and 'mounds' (this is how you speak scientifically right?) of the light wave makes its apparent frequency change?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:Less and more space between the 'crests' and 'mounds' (this is how you speak scientifically right?) of the light wave makes its apparent frequency change?
Ah, but the effect is backwards from standard redshift/blueshift. The bullets coming towards you are spread further apart -- and if you treat them as a wave, this makes them 'redder'... but things coming towards you should be blueshifted. What gives?

Side note -- I figured redshift/blueshift would be the easy way to explain this phenomenon of the bullets, until I noticed it was flipped.

Post by 19683 »

Is it because of acceleration?
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))

Post by 19683 »

Oh, I see! Light from far away bullets traveling toward you hasn't arrived yet, so we see them back in time. But back in time they were even farther away, so they seem stretched ('red-shifted'). The opposite happens for bullets moving moving away from you. Back in time they were closer to you, so they appear squished ('blue-shifted').
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

19683 wrote:Oh, I see! Light from far away bullets traveling toward you hasn't arrived yet, so we see them back in time.
Indeed - that's absolutely right, well put.