Level Creation Megathread

Safer than Professor Rex's office hours
A Random Player

Re: Level Creation Megathread

Post by A Random Player »

exfret wrote: Hey, we're on at the same time, so don't leave!!! I'm going to test it right now!
Heh, ok :)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:
exfret wrote:I should have said to play it in normal. Have you gotten past it? Did you try my other level? Also, I made a series of levels in a new thread. You might want to try those out if you like the previous levels I made. Comments and suggestions would be very nice!
I still can't seem to get past it [Melt the ice]: The 20/7 and 4/5 fire blocks don't seem to give enough time to get through all the ice after them, and waiting for the 4/5 ice to melt and going for the ice after it doesn't work. Any ideas?
(I saw those levels, will comment)
So, here's what you do: get the 4/5 fire block and wait for it to melt. In the one second that you have fire power, try to melt through the ice to the left of the 20/7 fire block. Now, when you're ready, bump against that fire block. The bump will start you off. Now zoom around the course (you shouldn't be stopping much). You should bump against the bottom wall where the floor tiles are next to it and head upwards to melt all the ice after that. This part may be hard, but it is possible, because I've passed the level before. Do you want any help after that? Also, thank you for trying my levels!
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
A Random Player

exfret wrote:
A Random Player wrote:
exfret wrote:I should have said to play it in normal. Have you gotten past it? Did you try my other level? Also, I made a series of levels in a new thread. You might want to try those out if you like the previous levels I made. Comments and suggestions would be very nice!
I still can't seem to get past it [Melt the ice]: The 20/7 and 4/5 fire blocks don't seem to give enough time to get through all the ice after them, and waiting for the 4/5 ice to melt and going for the ice after it doesn't work. Any ideas?
So, here's what you do: get the 4/5 fire block and wait for it to melt. In the one second that you have fire power, try to melt through the ice to the left of the 20/7 fire block. Now, when you're ready, bump against that fire block. The bump will start you off. Now zoom around the course (you shouldn't be stopping much). You should bump against the bottom wall where the floor tiles are next to it and head upwards to melt all the ice after that. This part may be hard, but it is possible, because I've passed the level before. Do you want any help after that? Also, thank you for trying my levels!
Hmm, I don't know why, but the first step (4/5) didn't work for me. Will try again.
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:
exfret wrote:
A Random Player wrote: I still can't seem to get past it [Melt the ice]: The 20/7 and 4/5 fire blocks don't seem to give enough time to get through all the ice after them, and waiting for the 4/5 ice to melt and going for the ice after it doesn't work. Any ideas?
Hmm, I don't know why, but the first step (4/5) didn't work for me. Will try again.
You may not be accelerating fast enough. You could try to start going before the fire block is completely done so that you reach it once it's ice. Then you'll have already gained some speed, and you can get to the second block of ice.
A Random Player

exfret wrote:You may not be accelerating fast enough. You could try to start going before the fire block is completely done so that you reach it once it's ice. Then you'll have already gained some speed, and you can get to the second block of ice.
It's working now. Strange.

Edit: I have finally beat the level! :D
exfret

Glitchy Graphics

Post by exfret »

Go into seen view and hold down the left key. Then, watch in amazement.

Code: Select all

[My Level 3, [x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,o;;]]
A Random Player

Re: Glitchy Graphics

exfret wrote:Go into seen view and hold down the left key. Then, watch in amazement.

[My Level 3, [x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x;x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,o;;]]
Hey, I was going to post that! It appears you continue into an imaginary space full of "stuff" which you bump into only sometimes. If you stop, you can travel around the world, with weird reflections sometimes. (Doppler keys still work here, and you can use them for direction! Bullets don't though :P)
Try slowing down, and/or doing this in a world not entirely filled. It's awesomer :D
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Glitchy Graphics

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:
exfret wrote:Go into seen view and hold down the left key. Then, watch in amazement.

Hey, I was going to post that! It appears you continue into an imaginary space full of "stuff" which you bump into only sometimes. If you stop, you can travel around the world, with weird reflections sometimes. (Doppler keys still work here, and you can use them for direction! Bullets don't though :P)
Try slowing down, and/or doing this in a world not entirely filled. It's awesomer :D
She's gone plaid!

I didn't think that'd be possible (breaking through the outer wall, that is), but well... to quote yet another movie... life finds a way. What you're seeing is an artifact of the way the screen is drawn. All the graphics calculations are done with the assumption that you're inside the level's box. Once you go outside there, all bets are off. Pretty sweet, isn't it?

I'd love to extend VR a bit, frankly, since the level-box is an unfortunate constraint. Things look really rad if you can keep accelerating (without hitting any walls)... somewhat like you're seeing right now -- but less glitchy. You can even make an acceleration-based event horizon. I hadn't thought about that for a while, but I'm sure you'd all get a kick out of it. When I get a chance, I'll try and make this work.
A Random Player

The speed of light is 1 tile per .7 seconds.

[Do not attempt to beat this level., [o,o,o,o,f-15-12,t-4-2.1,t-4-1.4000000000000001,t-4-0.7000000000000001,t-4-0,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.8-2;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,x,x,x,x,x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.96-1;o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o;o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o;;]]
The trapdoors' "motion wave" moves at exactly the speed of light. This can be shown by switching to seen view, and seeing that the trapdoors appear to close simultaneously.
1 tile/.7 seconds=1.428571 t/s.
The speed of light is (according to Rex) 3 mph. This means that each tile is .9388 meters. (Note: I used grams instead of tiles in the units so W|A would process it.)

I then got bored and proceeded to demonstrate an extreme case of superluminal motion. First, go behind the wall block in the way of the first cannon's bullets. They appear to travel a lot faster than c.
The cannons' bullets at the bottom go close to the speed of light, so the light they emit is closer together, and when the higher density of light reaches you, the bullet appears to take less time to travel the distance since you receive the "video frames" faster... Or something, it's hard to explain with text.
Then carefully go behind the second cannon's blocks, watch as the bullet becomes HUGE.

And finally, DO NOT TRY TO BEAT THE LEVEL. Prof Rex will kill your computer. :|

(Edited to add something else)

Re: The speed of light is 1 tile per .7 seconds.

Post by 19683 »

A Random Player wrote:

[Do not attempt to beat this level., [o,o,o,o,f-15-12,t-4-2.1,t-4-1.4000000000000001,t-4-0.7000000000000001,t-4-0,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,f-15-12,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.8-2;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,x,x,x,x,x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.96-1;o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o;o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,x,o,o,o;;]]
The trapdoors' "motion wave" moves at exactly the speed of light. This can be shown by switching to seen view, and seeing that the trapdoors appear to close simultaneously.
1 tile/.7 seconds=1.428571 t/s.
The speed of light is (according to Rex) 3 mph. This means that each tile is .9388 meters. (Note: I used grams instead of tiles in the units so W|A would process it.)

I then got bored and proceeded to demonstrate an extreme case of superluminal motion. First, go behind the wall block in the way of the first cannon's bullets. They appear to travel a lot faster than c.
The cannons' bullets at the bottom go close to the speed of light, so the light they emit is closer together, and when the higher density of light reaches you, the bullet appears to take less time to travel the distance since you receive the "video frames" faster... Or something, it's hard to explain with text.
Then carefully go behind the second cannon's blocks, watch as the bullet becomes HUGE.

And finally, DO NOT TRY TO BEAT THE LEVEL. Prof Rex will kill your computer. :|

(Edited to add something else)
I beat it! :D

In seen mode!
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))