Series of Levels

Safer than Professor Rex's office hours
exfret

Tips and Awesome Points

Post by exfret »

First of all, I just want to say that I am honored to have you, Andy, completing my levels. I love that you appreciate my levels, and I am excited to see how you do. Also, you might want to pass through all of the levels once if you haven't already done so (unless you consider that cheating). This will help to eliminate confusion and time-wasting, which are both bad in videos because they take up time, plus you can make your time faster. So, about the level mode thing, I am a little unspecific on the levels, but basically, the case with them is that they're in normal mode unless you need to do measured, such as if there is a doppler gate in the level. Here are the measured levels:
Doppler's Fort through Infrared Springs, Give it your best shot, and Trapped (see next level description for explanation)
Edit: I just realized you need to be on measured or seen for the 'bridge' to 'collapse' on Watery Chasm, which has to happen in order for you to finish the level.

If you find any I missed, tell me, but I think these are the only ones. You can try levels in measured or seen that can be done in normal, but not all of them are possible this way. Still, I'll give you 10 awesome points for each 'normal level' you complete in measured and 25 awesome points for each level you complete in seen. Also, I'll give you 15 awesome points per bronze achievement, 40 awesome points per silver achievement, and 100 awesome points per gold achievement that you complete while doing my levels. Finally, I'll give you 1000 awesome points for doing my levels in under 13 minutes (I don't know if this is even possible, but it's ~30 seconds per level), 750 awesome points for in under 21 minutes, 500 awesome points for in under half an hour plus one minute, 250 awesome points for in under 46 minutes, and 100 awesome points for in under and hour plus a minute. (Is there an awesome point bank hiding in these forums? I seem to be running out...)
Well, good luck, and here are some tips for the tricky levels:
-Doppler's Gort and Geyser Bay kind of rely on luck. If you don't get through it one time, try not to go at the same time you went the last time, because you'll get the same result (same result=death/fail) if you do.
-Infrared Bay is the most frustrating VP level I've ever made (thus the achievement for it), and it's a big time-waster. Other than that, it's actually relatively easy if you know what you're doing. You've gotta get it on the first try or else whole minutes of your time are gone.
-Choose a way to go through the volcano before-hand.
-I'd say Over the Volcano is pretty much the same difficulty as Under the Volcano. Through the Volcano is harder, but mostly more frustrating, and it has the possibility of wasting more time than it saves.
-On Melting Overhang, go diagonally across that really fast water trapdoor thing.
-On Clake, there is a path for you to follow in and out of the lake. You've got to be quick going through it.
-On Through the Magma, hit a fire block, then use another fire block to melt the ice that was created and repeat this process to get to the finish. You need to be smart about how you use your fire blocks, and you also need to be quick.
-On the beginning of The Core of The Volcano, hit the right fire block, then the left-down one, then melt the right fire-block-turned-to-snow and use the fire block past it to melt itself (since it gives you more fire time than it takes for it to turn to snow). After that, once you get to the upper-right corner of the screen, melt the fire block on the right first. It's smooth sailing after that if you know what you're doing.
-On Give it your Best Shot, you've got to go as fast as you can whilst avoiding the cannon's bullets diagonally and to the left, hopefully unlocking the doppler gate.
-When you see really-close-together garages, those are 'walls' that don't take up a whole tile of space. Clever idea, right? ;)
-Complete Fishy Lake without the fish so it won't slow you down.
-Scoot in between the bullets before they fire again on Cannons of Doom.
-MORE Cannons?! is just one of those levels where practice makes perfect. Even I had to learn many of the tricks to get past the level, but when I did, it was actually kind of easy. Instead of telling you all of them here, I'll let you find them out for yourself.
-Take advantage of the diagonal-like bullets on Fish Food Bridge.
-The final level, Training Grounds, is the hardest. You've got to scoot in between the bullets and wait for the perfect time to jump out and grab the fire power so that you can melt the ice block. After that, it takes a lot of patience to wait for the perfect time to run across to the first section of land, then you have to have good timing again in order to get to and fro the other fire block. After that, it would get a bit easier if not for the huge pressure of finally finishing the last of the levels. Although I'd say that Geyser bay is the most frustrating level on its own that I've ever made in VP, dying at the end of this level is definitely the most frustrating way to die in my series of levels, because you have to get passed the killer cannons and wait forever for the right time to pass through the lake again, plus, if you hadn't died, then you would have won the whole thing.

PS: For anyone reading this who doesn't know what VP is, it means Velocity Raptor.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Tips and Awesome Points

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Also, you might want to pass through all of the levels once if you haven't already done so (unless you consider that cheating).

You can try levels in measured or seen that can be done in normal, but not all of them are possible this way. Still, I'll give you 10 awesome points for each 'normal level' you complete in measured and 25 awesome points for each level you complete in seen.
I have taken a little skim through your levels -- not to prepare myself or test them out, though (I want it to be me vs. exfret's levels! Rawr!) I did notice that I needed to optimize the game a little bit, since some levels (particularly with tons of trap doors) ran slow for me. That's fixed now -- on my computer at least, I haven't updated that version yet -- so I won't have any excuse to fail a level!

I'll aim to record my first trial (of a ten-minute or so segment of levels) in the next few days.

And I'm looking forward to winning *all* the awesome points.
exfret

Video and All

Post by exfret »

Okay, so here's a note to everyone: Anyone who wants to complete my levels may or may not want to read my tips, but if anyone is looking to get any of the hardcore achievements, I would definitely recommend looking at those tips. Also, the time thing for awesome points is for anybody (assuming I don't run out of awesome points). One more thing: I was thinking about making a series of "training levels" and placing it in this thread. It would feature cannon levels, trapdoor levels, fire block levels, garage levels, etc. plus combinations of all sorts. I would have a 'test' ('test' difficulty levels would be super-easy levels anyone can do that basically summarize what skill the difficulties are testing), 'easy', 'medium', 'hard', and maybe 'insane' difficulty (as long as I don't make 'hard' insane) for each type. I'll pass all test, easy, medium, and some hard levels just to give you confidence they're doable. Each level will have their focus on something, and you can test that specific skill, making it kind of like testing levels. I'll make a completely new set of levels to go along with this as well. Does all of this sound good?? I think my first 'unit' would be 'moving paths', which would be trapdoors that move across the sea, and I think the 'chapters' (each with 4/5 levels corresponding to the 4/5 difficulties) should be along the lines of Fast Moving Paths w/ Turns, Moving Paths w/ Obstacles (for example, some of the trapdoors wouldn't go along with the rest of the path and another neat concept would be having garages in the way), Maze-like Moving Paths (lots of ways to go), and Moving Paths w/ Cannons. Sounds good???

And here's the part specifically addressed to Andy, but that anyone can read (it's just addressed to him, that doesn't mean for him and him only): So that's 3 'normal' levels in measured that you did * 10 points each, so 30 awesome point already! Also, I would prefer that you write 'exfret', not 'Exfret'. I know that it's strange, but that's just the way I'm used to, so it feels strange to me when I see 'Exfret'. I won't freak out when I see 'Exfret' or anything, and I'm definitely fine with you capitalizing it at the beginning of the sentence. Finally, I really enjoyed your video. I realize now that infrared springs wasn't exactly a very short level, as it seems to have taken up about half the video. Also, your image of the See-all Seal was very funny (to me at least). I look forward to you completing the maps and the volcano, and to see which way you'll go (over, under, or through).
exfret

Square Cannons

Post by exfret »

Here's some training levels I made:

Code: Select all

[Square Cannon Insane, [o,o,o,b2-2.2-10,x,b2-2.2-10,x,b2-2.2-10,x,b2-2.2-10,x,b2-2.2-10,x,b2-2.2-10,w;o,o,o,o,b2-2.8-5,o,b2-2.8-5,o,b2-2.8-5,o,b2-2.8-5,o,b2-2.8-5,o,x;f-15-95,b1-2.8-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-10;b1-1.8-10,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.8-5,x;x,b1-2.8-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.7-10;b1-2.8-10,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.8-5,x;x,b1-2.8-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.8-5;x,x,o,b4-1-5,o,b4-2.7-2,o,b4-2.7-2,o,b4-2.7-2,o,b4-2.7-2,x,s,x;w,x,b4-2.2-10,x,b4-2.8-10,x,b4-2.2-10,x,b4-2.8-10,x,b4-2.2-10,x,x,o,o;;]]

[Square Cannon Hard, [o,o,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,w;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-5;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-5;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-5;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;w,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,o,o;;]]

[Square Cannon Intermediate, [o,o,x,b2-2.2-5,x,x,x,b2-2.2-5,x,b2-2.2-5,x,x,x,b2-2.2-5,w;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-5;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-2.2-5;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;b1-2.2-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;w,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,x,x,x,b4-2.2-5,x,b4-2.2-5,o,o;;]]

[Square Cannon Easy, [o,o,x,x,x,b2-1.2000000000000002-7,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,b2-1.2000000000000002-7,w;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-1.2000000000000002-7;b1-1.2000000000000002-7,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;w,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,b4-1.2000000000000002-7,x,x,x,b4-1.2000000000000002-7,o,o;;]]

[Square Cannon Test Level, [o,o,o,x,x,x,x,x,x,b2-1.2000000000000002-7,x,x,x,x,w;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,x;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,b3-1.2000000000000002-7;x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;w,x,x,x,b4-1.2000000000000002-7,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,o,o,o;;]]
I've actually gotten passed every single one of these levels. By the way, that's a challenge for you to do the same thing.
exfret

Glitches

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:Nice! Looking forward to giving these a try.

(On a side note, looks like I need to work on the rounding in the level code. Seems there's still a few floating point errors getting through the filter... as in 4.000000000002.)
Actually, is there a way you could remove the rounding mechanism altogether? Oh, and please remove the limits on the numbers you can type in, too. Those get annoying. On the topic of glitches, the cannon targets also aren't drawn if their location is above a trapdoor, but Velocity Raptor still collides with them. Could you fix this? Another thing about cannons: When they're blocked by something right next to them, they always go to the right, no matter what direction they were facing in the editor. Here's an example:

[My Level 25, [o,o,o,o,o,o,b2-2.7-5,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,x,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;;]]
While still on the topic of cannons, please allow for a cannon offset, because that would really help when making levels. And, another thing that would be useful but probably not as important as implementing the other features would be having 'double cannons', 'triple cannons', and even 'quadruple cannons' that shoot in 2, 3, or 4 directions respectively, using only one block. And, yet another thing: Things like doppler keys (so far, I've only tested doppler keys, actually) still lag my computer when I'm on normal. They should just act like regular blocks, but they seem to still be doing something that makes the game lag. Could you make it so they don't do that? Also, it's a good thing that Velocity Raptor doesn't reset when you go into edit mode, but could you make it so that the game doesn't still run. There have been countless times when, while editing a level, Velocity Raptor is killed by a bullet or falls in water and the beginning screen pops up, causing annoyance. One final glitch: There's a subtle visual glitch where, if you're going fast enough as Velocity Raptor across the room lengthwise in seen mode, right before you hit the wall, the side of the room you're coming from appears to 'crack' (you have to be going really fast, but it's still possible to do within the confines of the room). Well, actually that wasn't the last glitch, here's another visual glitch: when you start a level with cannons in seen mode, the bullets sometimes appear to be all over the place.

Oh, and finally, here's one of the strangest ones:

[???, [o,o,b1-2.5-3,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;;]]
exfret

Ice Paths

Post by exfret »

Here's some more 'training levels' that I have devised. The insane difficulty is possible, by the way.

Test Level

[Ice Paths Test Level, [o,o,f-13-12,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s;s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s;;]]
Easy

[Ice Paths Easy, [o,o,f-8-23,s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,s,w,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s;;]]
Medium

[Ice Paths Intermediate, [o,o,f-3-25,s,s,s,w,s,s,s,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,s,s,w,s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w;w,w,w,w,s,s,w,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,s,s,s,w,s,s,w,s,w,w,w,w,w;s,w,w,w,w,s,s,w,s,s,w,w,w,w,w;s,s,s,s,s,s,w,s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w;w,w,w,w,w,w,s,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;w,w,w,w,w,w,s,w,w,w,w,w,w,w,w;w,w,w,w,w,w,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s;;]]
Hard

[Ice Paths Hard, [o,o,f-1-21.5,w,s,s,s,w,f-1-9.5,s,s,s,s,s,s;s,s,w,s,s,w,s,s,w,w,w,s,w,w,s;w,s,w,s,s,w,w,s,w,w,s,s,w,s,s;w,s,s,s,w,s,s,s,w,w,s,w,s,s,w;w,w,w,x,w,s,w,w,w,s,s,w,s,w,w;s,s,s,s,w,s,w,w,s,s,w,s,s,w,w;s,w,w,s,s,s,w,s,s,w,s,s,w,w,w;s,s,w,x,x,x,s,s,w,s,s,w,w,w,w;w,s,s,s,s,s,s,w,w,s,s,s,s,s,s;;]]
Insane

[Ice Paths Insane, [o,o,f-1-11.5,w,s,s,s,s,w,s,s,s,w,s,s;s,w,w,w,s,w,w,s,s,f-7.5-1,w,s,w,s,s;s,w,s,s,s,w,s,s,w,s,w,s,s,s,s;s,s,s,w,w,s,s,w,w,s,w,w,w,w,s;w,w,w,s,s,s,w,w,w,s,w,x,s,s,s;w,s,s,s,w,w,w,w,w,s,w,x,s,w,w;s,s,s,w,f-1-21,w,w,w,s,s,w,x,s,s,s;s,s,w,s,s,s,w,s,s,w,s,s,s,s,s;s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,w,w,s,s,s,s,s;g1-0.01-13.6-1,g2-0.01-12-6.6,g2-0.01-13-7.6,g2-0.01-11-7.6;]]
By the way, I've gotten passed all of these but insane. I've gotten passed each part of insane individually, so in a sense, I got passed it, but not really. Here's a challenge: Can anyone get passed the insane level?

Re: Video and All

Post by 19683 »

exfret wrote:Okay, so here's a note to everyone: Anyone who wants to complete my levels may or may not want to read my tips, but if anyone is looking to get any of the hardcore achievements, I would definitely recommend looking at those tips. Also, the time thing for awesome points is for anybody (assuming I don't run out of awesome points). One more thing: I was thinking about making a series of "training levels" and placing it in this thread. It would feature cannon levels, trapdoor levels, fire block levels, garage levels, etc. plus combinations of all sorts. I would have a 'test' ('test' difficulty levels would be super-easy levels anyone can do that basically summarize what skill the difficulties are testing), 'easy', 'medium', 'hard', and maybe 'insane' difficulty (as long as I don't make 'hard' insane) for each type. I'll pass all test, easy, medium, and some hard levels just to give you confidence they're doable. Each level will have their focus on something, and you can test that specific skill, making it kind of like testing levels. I'll make a completely new set of levels to go along with this as well. Does all of this sound good?? I think my first 'unit' would be 'moving paths', which would be trapdoors that move across the sea, and I think the 'chapters' (each with 4/5 levels corresponding to the 4/5 difficulties) should be along the lines of Fast Moving Paths w/ Turns, Moving Paths w/ Obstacles (for example, some of the trapdoors wouldn't go along with the rest of the path and another neat concept would be having garages in the way), Maze-like Moving Paths (lots of ways to go), and Moving Paths w/ Cannons. Sounds good???

And here's the part specifically addressed to Andy, but that anyone can read (it's just addressed to him, that doesn't mean for him and him only): So that's 3 'normal' levels in measured that you did * 10 points each, so 30 awesome point already! Also, I would prefer that you write 'exfret', not 'Exfret'. I know that it's strange, but that's just the way I'm used to, so it feels strange to me when I see 'Exfret'. I won't freak out when I see 'Exfret' or anything, and I'm definitely fine with you capitalizing it at the beginning of the sentence. Finally, I really enjoyed your video. I realize now that infrared springs wasn't exactly a very short level, as it seems to have taken up about half the video. Also, your image of the See-all Seal was very funny (to me at least). I look forward to you completing the maps and the volcano, and to see which way you'll go (over, under, or through).
First, I want to say that "awesome points" were my idea! :D
Also, awesome points never run out! Because they're AWESOME! :D

Question: Why do you prefer "exfret" to "Exfret"?
I don't have to worry about capitalization, though. (19683=19683) :D
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))
A Random Player

Re: Glitches

Post by A Random Player »

exfret wrote: While still on the topic of cannons, please allow for a cannon offset, because that would really help when making levels. And, another thing that would be useful but probably not as important as implementing the other features would be having 'double cannons', 'triple cannons', and even 'quadruple cannons' that shoot in 2, 3, or 4 directions respectively, using only one block. And, yet another thing: Things like doppler keys (so far, I've only tested doppler keys, actually) still lag my computer when I'm on normal. They should just act like regular blocks, but they seem to still be doing something that makes the game lag. Could you make it so they don't do that? Also, it's a good thing that Velocity Raptor doesn't reset when you go into edit mode, but could you make it so that the game doesn't still run. There have been countless times when, while editing a level, Velocity Raptor is killed by a bullet or falls in water and the beginning screen pops up, causing annoyance. One final glitch: There's a subtle visual glitch where, if you're going fast enough as Velocity Raptor across the room lengthwise in seen mode, right before you hit the wall, the side of the room you're coming from appears to 'crack' (you have to be going really fast, but it's still possible to do within the confines of the room). Well, actually that wasn't the last glitch, here's another visual glitch: when you start a level with cannons in seen mode, the bullets sometimes appear to be all over the place.

Oh, and finally, here's one of the strangest ones:

[???, [o,o,b1-2.5-3,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o;;]]
I need to post more, don't I. Actually I need to post less. I've been trying to. I've already noticed the cracking part :P I just replicated it with 1.19 mph though. And the all over the place is probably precomputation (cf canolaser, and moving really fast relative to bullets.)
That last one is just weird.
19683 wrote:Question: Why do you prefer "exfret" to "Exfret"?
It's just like xkcd :P
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Awesomeness and Names

Post by exfret »

19683 wrote:First, I want to say that "awesome points" were my idea! :D
Also, awesome points never run out! Because they're AWESOME! :D

Question: Why do you prefer "exfret" to "Exfret"?
Yes, Awesome Points were your idea. I stole it from you, because just like awesome points, ideas never run out. I am sorry for not giving you the credit for coming up with awesome points. Speaking about awesome points, you can earn your 1000 back if be the first to post about finishing the series of levels (you have the finish the levels, too, but you don't have to be the first to due so).

Anyways, about the exfret thing, I kind of explained it already. "Exfret" doesn't feel like you're addressing it to me, but "exfret" does. It's like someone saying your name in a strange, foreign accent. And besides, if you want to ask for why I like it under-case, why don't you ask why I chose "exfret" and not "Bob", in which case, I would asnwer:
One day I needed to make a username for something. I decide qwerty, because I had discovered it on the keyboard and I thought no one else would be as smart as me to find out such a thing. As it turned out, I was terribly wrong. People everywhere had usernames of qwerty. So, I tried to think of some other word to represent me. I couldn't really think of a word that no one would use in their usernames and that would fit the bill, so I started thinking of made-up words that sounded cool that could be made on the keyboard. I decided to start off with "ex", because "ex" sounds cool, then I searched for other combinations of letters. Somehow I chose fret, probably partly because it was near the letters "e" and "x". So, the name "exfret" came to be, and I actually started using it a lot. Eventually, there came a point where I decided I really liked it, and it became my universal username, so if you find an "exfret" or "exfretia" somewhere else, it's almost definitely me. It's perfect, because I've used it so much that it actually feels like a name, and there's just about no chance that someone else would think of "exfret" (there is still chance, especially on a physics website forums, that someone would choose 19683). So, basically, "exfret" is my second name. Speaking of names, I've read how you got your name 19683, but what about robly? Do any of you know why it's robly and not something else. And, what about you Andy, what's your obsession with test tubes about? Why not DinosaurPhysicist or AgentPhysics or The Electric Agent DinoPhysiCorunOrWalk Simulator? Finally, is there a backstory to how you got your name ARP? (I can call you ARP, right?) Oh, and finally, I just wanted to point out another thing: Am I the only one who thinks about the subject (beside the first post in a thread)?
A Random Player

Re: Awesomeness and Names

Post by A Random Player »

exfret wrote:Finally, is there a backstory to how you got your name ARP? (I can call you ARP, right?) Oh, and finally, I just wanted to point out another thing: Am I the only one who thinks about the subject (beside the first post in a thread)?
Not really, it was just that I needed to comment on the blog, so I picked a name that didn't imply anything besides a random person on the internet. It stuck for this site, so I use it here.
(Aside: At first, Andy called me BARP because (I think) the comments were displayed as By A Random Player :D)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!