Version 0.89

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Version 0.89

Post by testtubegames »

Hey all, I just uploaded a pretty major update to Shocktopus on the fgl website -- new graphics, new arrangements of levels, new level editor, new instructions, new controls, lots o' new. I'd appreciate any feedback to it. You can post it here, in the fgl forum, email it to me, or attempt smoke signals. (Warning: passenger pigeons often get stuck in my spam filter)

In about a week I'll be bringing it to a festival where hundreds of people will play it, and I want it to be as good as I can get it by then!

If you've lost your login -- or if you aren't yet a playtester on FGL but would like to be, let me know!

Thanks much!

ps. An update on the timing of the release -- as you can see my previous estimate was *way* off! I thought I was closer than I was, but a bunch of changes/modifications/feedback have pushed the release back. All great stuff, since it will make the game better, but it moves the date back a bit. I think I'm getting pretty close now (hah!) but I'll hold off making any predictions at the moment. If you're itching to play it, like I said, contact me about being a playtester!
robly18

Re: Version 0.89

Post by robly18 »

Workin' on it! I'll be sure to deliver a multiple page report on every individual level and on the level editor! To doin' my job!

EDIT:Actually, I had a better idea. I'll be recording a blind run... of this version at least.

So far I'm up to level 20. I stopped there for two reasons. A friend asked me to play with him and I flat out ragequit :mrgreen:
Anyway, I'll be uploading it to youtube. I should have a link up by, at most, tommorow!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
robly18

Post by robly18 »

http://youtu.be/90zvOt8II_I
There. Link.
It's still uploading but when it's done I'll add captions and whatnot for text and stuff.

EDIT: Done, and captioned. Fifteen minutes of me failing at physics.

EDIT2: I just realized some of the text on the shocktopus page is wrong. He no longer is trying to rescue his guitar, is he? Also, some of the pictures are outdated, but that is to be expected.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh my goodness! I can't wait to watch it --

at this rate (what with my video of exfret's levels the other day), we'll take over YouTube in no time, I am sure! Check my math
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:Oh my goodness! I can't wait to watch it --

at this rate (what with my video of exfret's levels the other day), we'll take over YouTube in no time, I am sure! Check my math
Your video was 14 minutes 13 seconds long.
Mine was 14 minutes 46 seconds long.

Now all we need is a third to figure out if this is an exponential , linear, or converging difference!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:EDIT2: I just realized some of the text on the shocktopus page is wrong. He no longer is trying to rescue his guitar, is he? Also, some of the pictures are outdated, but that is to be expected.
Yeah, the shocktopus page could use an update -- now that things are getting more settled in place, I may just do that. (Up til this point, I haven't updated it much, since I knew anything new I put up would soon be out of date anyway) But the guitar thing, yeah, that's waaaay outta date / was never incorporated into the game.
robly18 wrote: EDIT: Done, and captioned. Fifteen minutes of me failing at physics.
Wha? Failing at physics? Methinks you sailed pretty quickly through those levels! The video was great, and the comments you interspersed were helpful / hilarious. Part of the fun of making a game that can be challenging at times is watching someone play it. (And more specifically, watching them *nearly* finish a level, then die. Sorry about level 20. (Kinda.) (Not really. :twisted: ) But I do see that it needs to be tweaked to go faster)

Now, I know that you've played a fair amount before, but from watching the video, it seemed like you flew through the first 20 levels without much trouble. That makes me think that overall the difficulty level is just about right... since I went through a slew of versions where players had trouble getting past the first handful of levels. At least, that was my take on watching you play. If that's off base, let me know.

Thanks as always for some awesome playtesting, Robly!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

My pleasure! I'll do the other levels when I get over level 20... Or when you patch it..?

You will... patch it, right?

Right?

Riiiiight?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:My pleasure! I'll do the other levels when I get over level 20... Or when you patch it..?

You will... patch it, right?

Right?

Riiiiight?
Right. Level 20 now goes a bit faster -- and you also can't get stuck once the sand blocks disappear. Less ragequits perhaps?

Though fair warning, there are a lot of tough levels ahead. (I say as no small challenge :Sh )