Version .91

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
exfret

Re: Prerelease Level-Creation Megathread

Post by exfret »

Glitch: I knew it, flowing magnetic red fields act the same as flowing magnetic blue fields (they spin you CCW when they really should spin you CW).*

*CW=clockwise, CCW=counterclockwise
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Glitch: When you delete a lever with a block selected, you go into 'permanent delete mode'.
Huh, funny. Yeah, I gave it a shot and I think I managed to recreate that problem. Except for me, I went into 'permanent not-delete mode'. Sounds like it's pointing to the same problem, though.
exfret wrote:Glitch: I knew it, flowing magnetic red fields act the same as flowing magnetic blue fields (they spin you CCW when they really should spin you CW).
I think I've got a slightly better handle (kinda sorta) on what is going wrong here. For some reason, there's a bug with Chrome... since Chrome by default doesn't run Flash, but instead runs its own version: PepperFlash. And for all practical purposes, it's supposed to do the same thing. But there have been known to be bugs. I've found this issue with magnetic fields only crops up when PepperFlash is activated in Chrome. (If you find it some other time, do let me know!)

I'll put up a new version with a fix to this issue tomorrow (Monday). Fiddled with the code a bit, and the problem went away. Not too reassuring. But it seems to get it to work. And it's good to know the issues with PepperFlash might crop up in other areas, too.

Before I put in the next update, you can try disabling PepperFlash. It's pretty straightforward to tell Chrome to just use Flash instead (You can read the easy instructions here.) Then the problem should go away.
exfret

Post by exfret »

It I changed a to saltier flash started and re-ly browser, but of my problems to still me are coming. Suggestions of any?

Feju: Ju J dibohfe b up tbmujfs gmbti tubsufe boe sf-mz cspxtfs, cvu pg qspcmfnt up tujmm nf bsf dpnjoh. Tvhhftujpot pg boz?

(BTW: I changed it to a saltier flash and restarted my browser, but the problem still occurs. Any suggestions?)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:It I changed a to saltier flash started and re-ly browser, but of my problems to still me are coming. Suggestions of any?
Weird. Very weird. Technology is weird.

I uploaded a new version -- with little bug fixes here and there. I'm hoping *fingers crossed* the magnetic fields start working this time for people. Because the stuff I did fixed it over here (even with PepperFlash). If not - I'll go back to the drawing board with it.

Major changes (like star arrangements and hint text) to change in the next few days.

As always, make sure you refresh the page to get the new version of the game. (You'll know it's the new version, since the bottom spikes are gone from Level 3)

Edit: To keep track of changes...
-You can hold down 'jump' now
-Magnets should work again
-When you destroy a switch in edit mode, you shouldn't go into a perma-delete mode anymore
-In edit mode, timed tiles will show up
-Extra (glitchy) 'wall hit sounds' are gone
-Lowered the file size about .6 MB (yeah!) ...more to come, there
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Version .91

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Just general level hints. Sorry for lack of detail, I just wrote a large paragraph and I was copying it just in case on my iPhone and it pasted. :evil: :cry: :x I only realized how to 'undo typing' after writing that. Anyways, there wer a whole bunch of things useful to point out, and I was thinking a series of videos about completing the levels might be useful. Also, I was thinking about doing such videos myself and I'm wondering if you could tell me how to do them.
Ah, interesting. You mean kinda like the video Robly did here?. If you're on a mac, I'd just use QuickTime to record a video of part of my screen. (That's how I did it for the trailer, say). There are plenty of other (free) programs you can download that do similar recordings of your screen. You could either record audio via microphone -- or you could use the really slick method that Robly did of adding text on top of the video (YouTube Annotations).

And uploading to YouTube is as easy as having an account.

Is this the kinda info you're looking for?
robly18

Post by robly18 »

For the record, I recorded my videos using this (windows) recording software called Bandicam.
In case you're wondering how it came in my hands(computer?), weird story.
A friend of mine makes youtube videos, so I ask him what he uses to record them. He sends me the files through skype. Once the download is done, he sends me a shady looking "Don't ask me where I got it though ;)"

I'm pretty sure he pirated it, but I just let it slide through. I don't use it very often anyway, but when I do, it's incredibly useful, not just for myself.
So, I let it be.

As for the annotations, yeah, that was pretty easy to do. It was fun to replay the video and add in those.
Which reminds me, I should probably replay it. I've already played a bit in the version with the bugged magnetic fields, but once I get a chance I'll replay it from the start.

Now, if you'll excuse me: it's nearly 2:30 AM and I do start school in two days so it should probably be of my best interests to go to bed.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

Mag. fields work now. I did notice, though, that in the intro animation, the text saying "press 'space' to skip" pops up a little late into the animation. I don't really think this is necessary, though I suppose another opinion would be necessary for a change. Also, thanks for making the music and sfx buttons go away when editing.

Edit: Also remember to make it so trails don't stay level to level. Also, I watched robly's video. It really needed some sort of sound. Annotations are definitely just add-ons, not the whole way you communicate. Also, what happened to the grass? It was a nice touch.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Yayz! Found the TES swf.

Here: https://www.flashgamelicense.com/swfs/g ... ac_swf.swf

It's glitchy to say the least.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Okay, I made a few videos w/ sound using quicktime. Hoping to be able to place them on youtuble soon. (:
exfret

Post by exfret »

Here's the link to my youtube video of me completing my ~TES~ Bonus Level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJyH3eMPWT8

Please don't laugh at me. :oops: