FBF Episode 3 - Traffic Light

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

FBF Episode 3 - Traffic Light

Post by testtubegames »

This week's Feel Bad Friday is based on Traffic Light, a level by A Random Player. Hard level? Hardest level? Watch to find out.

Check out the video on YouTube

Wanna try the level yourself? Good luuuuck. (Traffic Light by A Random Player)

Code: Select all

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Traffic light"-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]
or a variant of that level less prone to lag on v4.0/4.1:

Code: Select all

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Traffic light (no signs)"-eNrtllEOwiAMQO+y735YWJ2exezXC+jf4t2tWBgtTJdoNFlokSF7tKO00wlEEIBYo3gsuwx9wgQVQdEw2oN3sCgkHa1B2Jaelo87Vsj5IdLQ6mNXVCyT3UEejceM20mLPA+jfYP3A3d7Vk2LecNjXDBvLGOlp2TnW+x8hopNp6xYqrEpINX2ZvEAfmfyacnNkeFgMVPv1dfqQl6G4QieLobMR3FYUEMXyGhlxrDMFouRvpGloHiWGQrNJK0qBZaDelrrNHG+5xSE3oOUyCKJIVk5pibKyX9R+zhBk9filP4Dm7prB6cNhtYbbVzj/siNmywyt/Kd07jG/YAbp+7Mv2Z8ufBlIP7PQlx426y9Jh8JIq1AxtsdVUOoMg==]
Final thoughts on the level... well, it's mainly all right there in the video. Hard as nails to get all 3 stars... and I stand by my challenge to see whether *you* can do it! :) But clever design with the exploding blocks, and I enjoyed all the signposts around - fun to see a new addition to the game getting some use!

Side note, I often get ready to load up a few levels to see what the next one I'm going to play will be. Well, so far, I've gone for the first level I've come across. Well done for making pretty eye-catching levels, you two!
A Random Player

Re: FBF Episode 3 - Traffic Light

Post by A Random Player »

Where am I? Whew, I'm back.
Ok, so I started typing a response, but my computer BSOD'd on me. (Once again, save your work everyone!)

Anyway, I can truthfully say that I did indeed beat the level with 3 stars before submitting. Admittedly I can't beat it right now due to silly mistakes by going too fast, but I assure you I did. (Most of my levels are tested, except some I just want to say "This looks possible but I can't beat it" (so it probably is impossible)).

Your "visual confirmation": Note that there are two "missing" explody-blocks: One at the top of the line at the entrance, and one in the middle of the upper line. They were there when I was testing the level, but I noticed that when I got to the step at the top, there were 3 blocks left, so I removed those two :twisted: This means you're basically going at maximum speed in order to make it in time.

Over time, "tricks" develop. One of my best optimizations is, when the light is blue, don't make a full arc. Instead, run and fall a bit, and hold charge a bit, so you maintain full speed and are launched onto the ladder area. Another smaller one is holding charge when falling through the crates. Faster, but at the expense of a few deaths where the missile isn't at a good time. Finally, you can just press charge at the beginning to get sent straight into the first star, but be careful of the small "glitch" in the timer!

And finally, the signs were added essentially to make sure you'd never beat the level until having played through the level several times, by stalling you long enough to finish the timer. (Of course, you died enough times to make such a delay moot :P) IIRC, I was waiting for signs to be released so I could add them.

(I challenge anyone else to beat this level!)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Anyway, I can truthfully say that I did indeed beat the level with 3 stars before submitting. Admittedly I can't beat it right now due to silly mistakes by going too fast, but I assure you I did. (Most of my levels are tested, except some I just want to say "This looks possible but I can't beat it" (so it probably is impossible)).
Ah, phew, glad to hear that you beat it. I *figured* you had... but twenty minutes in to trying to beat this level I started to wonder :) Made me realize that I open myself up to endless frustration if someone happens to send a broken/impossible level my way: "Hour 17... of feel bad fri... err, saturday... so hungry... must... not... give... up."

Nice tricks that you came up with, by the way. I can't believe I forgot about the 'speedy-way-through-magnetic-fields.' I suppose I was scared enough to want to do the 'safe' arc in any case. I'll go back and try those tricks you mentioned (not to try to beat the level again, mind you, but just to see how much time they shave off. I've gotta learn every trick in the book, apparently ;) )

And I agree - I challenge literally anyone else to finish this level. It requires quite some impressive precision. Thanks for sending it along, Random, I had a fun (if in a pull-out-my-hair kinda way) time with it.

(With April 1st coming up tomorrow, I should really swap out, say, level 6 of the game with this one. "Oh, hey, this game is fun... ooh, electric fields... WHAT IS THIS FRESH HELL??")
TheLevelMakers

Post by TheLevelMakers »

I BEAT IT.
I Love Feel Bad Friday