Version 0.9

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Version 0.9

Post by testtubegames »

Just updated the build for Windows - still called 0.9, but has a few fixes that I could do quickly, namely:

-Memory usage is lower - and I noticed it running faster on my PC
-Memory 'leaks' should be gone (I think I fixed it by forcing garbage collection every time you change a level)
-No more diagonal exits :)
-Switch-markers fixed (level 19 and random's temple level now look right)
-No more un-gettable stars

I couldn't reproduce the issue on level 22, of one of the stars you'd gotten reappearing after you did the secret level. Though, maybe that was fixed when I fixed the un-gettable stars? Seems too easy, though...

And I think the framerate thing is a bug in Unity. I'll get the update that *may* fix it, though my patchwork solution right now is to set the framerate to 30fps every time you switch any page in the menu. (Since maybe the first setframerate call slipped through the cracks for some reason? Dunno. It's a hail-mary.) In any case, hard to test, since I haven't run into that problem in a while. So if either of you do see it with this latest version, let me know.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

In fixing the diagonal exits, it appears you made some levels (notably 756C) harder:

Code: Select all

[The Electric Shocktopus-"756C; NealCruco"-eNrtVUsSgyAMvQvrLBowWs/ScdsLtDumdy/yaRCxqNhFZ3wEEHhgeAHVgBUJxqwaWIYiUxB49gLIl/uSm6vwYLObI/iO0viMQF45149dnhc45PmByvx4RS+CIxf8sKEIaJPXEjOZdJ1vknU3DjmzkJfRVh8ePkV+zYwSviX76dYoKe1sspphJEOkDbBI6X5qzn/OrURvgBkvuh/S5bBYiDt+Ys9P3IPhXJCbaeTx42uv0YSqLlnfsGWL6Ry+LrINLdJwBOTGdOJEEcqmMkWLp4DbYEyLu7DVw1SN6qEl030qWXW1+xIDS8NY6YL9yv1JIHf/vX4NqibsFGR4vQEIf+4W]
I've been able to consistently show the issue with this code, with Shocktopus starting in that specific place. Hold charge and right, and repeatedly tap down; You should be able to win in 0.9, but not in 0.9c.

Additionally, while I can't test this consistently, it doesn't seem like the lag in menu was totally removed. I'll try later with some less things running in the background.

The memory "leak" seems to be fixed (as far as I can tell).
The switch markers also work.
The level 22/secret level bug seems to be fixed.

Edit: Is that lone blue magnetic tile in the top of level 22 supposed to be there?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Okay... new build posted (0.9d)... with fixes:

-Diagonal exit now prevented... but not in a terrible way that breaks levels. Hitbox is less like a switch (which it was... aka stand on it) and more like a star (which it should be).
-Sprites should look better, changed some compression-type-stuff to remove those artifacts you noticed
-Made the magnetic-tiles look a bit better. Still a wee bit of overlap here and there, but much less than before. I haven't been able to figure out why there is the pixel-offset issue in the first place, but this at least minimizes it.
-I updated to the latest version of Unity (which broke a bunch of stuff... which is now fixed), and that might also help out with some random bugs we've had? Maybe? I hope? (I'm thinking about the framerate issue, and the linux-anti-alias issue)

The menu lag is a really strange issue. Since, nothing really should be going on in the game. It's just a menu! I have minor hopes that the update to Unity 5.3 fixed it, but I doubt it -- at the office and could only test on my mac's installation of windows... not the real-deal. Will check in on that tonight.
A Random Player

Sadly, the menu lag is still there in 0.9d; it's hard to tell if it changed much but it's still pretty bad. I don't see anything strange on task manager (CPU and memory usage are comparable in and out of levels).
Additionally, I just noticed that in menus (but not the levels), there is a small black border inside the screen? It persists when I resize the screen as well.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Sadly, the menu lag is still there in 0.9d
Ah, well. Thanks for noting it.
A Random Player wrote:...there is a small black border inside the screen?
I think I know what that is -- an artifact of an old test that I forgot to remove. Thanks for reminding me!
A Random Player

testtubegames wrote:And I think the framerate thing is a bug in Unity. I'll get the update that *may* fix it, though my patchwork solution right now is to set the framerate to 30fps every time you switch any page in the menu. (Since maybe the first setframerate call slipped through the cracks for some reason? Dunno. It's a hail-mary.) In any case, hard to test, since I haven't run into that problem in a while. So if either of you do see it with this latest version, let me know.
Well, bad news, I've just encountered this issue again in 0.9d. I've tried:
  • Leaving the current level
  • Changing the (level editor) page back and forth
  • Doing the same on the main levels
  • Entering and exiting edit mode
Quite a strange bug.
A Random Player

I thought I might point something out that was introduced a few updates ago:
Grid World Appearing Tile Exploit (2).gif
Grid World Appearing Tile Exploit (2).gif (380.62 KiB) Viewed 36924 times
This exploit is possible in many levels, including Grid World, Juggling (though you miss 2 stars), NaQRC, and probably a few others.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

This bug is also in 3F46, though there's no benefit to exploiting it. Not that I've found, anyway.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Okay, posted the latest version, with a few of these fixes... namely:

-You now can't fall through tiles if a flashing block hits you. The origin of this was I didn't want players to die if they happened to overlap with a block the moment it appeared. Seemed a bit arbitrary, and quite a punishment. So I decided they'd just fall through. Seemed reasonable enough, though as you can see it introduced some weird consequences. Namely, they would fall through *any* adjacent blocks. I've now changed it so they'd fall through *just* the blocks that appeared from the source they're overlapping. So if they overlap a time-block, they'll fall through time blocks, but not through solid non-time blocks. Or switch blocks. Seems that this is a less game-breaking way to deal with it.

-The black border around the screen (in menus) is gone
-There is pagination (woo!) in the menus
-Analytics were added, to help me tweak the game
-Fixed a few other bugs that came up (inevitably)

Still haven't figured out what is causing the framerate bug, or the lag in the main menu. Will keep working on it.

Edit: And thanks for your crazy amount of patience on this -- between travel (yeah Paris!), getting sick several times (ugh), and trying to get Bond Breaker 2.0 out the door, it's been a busy month. It's taking longer than I like, and longer than you all would like, too, I am sure. So thank you for not going bonkers on me.
A Random Player

I just downloaded 0.9e and took a peek at the additions; I may have noticed an issue where sometimes, not all act-switching arrows appear on Act 2 after using the pagination (may be just because the right arrow is the last to appear, so I didn't see it, though).
Also, when you hold any of the motion controls (WASD/UDLR, but not charge), the mouse moves to the center of the screen and hides (in both levels and the main menu); moving the mouse makes it appear again. (Solution: Easy. Just put all buttons at (0,0,0). :D)

Regarding the fall-though-appearing-tiles, I haven't tried the updated outcomes, but another idea is if a tile appears on top of the player, that tile should be the only one that you can fall through? For small appearing-groups, the player could just walk/jump out, but he will get trapped (at least temporarily) in larger groups (ex. the shark in The Ocean). It seems reasonable, as if, say, the whole level turns into a wall*, you wouldn't really expect to be able to move freely throughout it somehow.

*level idea anyone?