Another cool gravity simulator I found

What did you draw?
A Random Player

Another cool gravity simulator I found

Post by A Random Player »

http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html
It's somewhat similar to Andy/TTG's simulator. It's simpler, but a lot less laggy. Main differences are:
-'s
  • No custom laws
  • No saving/loading
  • No generate pictures
  • No zooming
  • Paths disappear upon moving
  • Euler n^2 integration (large erratic precession with most massive particles)
+'s
  • Custom particle size (any size!)
  • Merging
  • Particle radius and color dependent on mass
  • Significantly less lag
  • Add protoplanetary disc with ~700 particles
Also there's a fun little easter egg... (hint: That custom mass box. Any mass?)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Another cool gravity simulator I found

Post by testtubegames »

Yeah, that's a neat one. Compared to my old version, I agree, there are pluses and minuses. Though I'm hoping this new version of the sim will fix a lot of those things in my 'minus' column.

As you could probably tell, I'm particularly excited about the lower amount of lag that I'm already getting in the new version. Fifty planets are no problem right now. As for getting all the way up to something like a protoplanetary disk (with ~700 planets)... that'll take a bit more work. But it's certainly do-able. (At that point, I'd definitely cut out the 'precise' calculations that I'm using, and lower down to something faster like Euler. That alone might do it.)
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Heh, I already knew this one. It's alright, but I'll prefer precision and messing with physics over that any day.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

Yeah, I already knew of that one, too. I get a strange sense of deja vu when reading this thread. I think Andy's will prove to be much better once his full version gets completely working. Maybe then you could advertise it as "Best Gravity Simulator on the Web"!!!
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:I get a strange sense of deja vu when reading this thread.
Haha, sure. It's really great timing, though. Since I've started a bit of work in the new simulator, it's helpful to see an objective side-by-side comparison like this. Helps remind me of things to improve.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Anyone seen Gravit?

Just stumbled across it and downloaded it. Looks like it could be very pretty -- certainly inspires me to make the simulator look flashier. (Ooooh, neon!) They also have a lot of features that you all have mentioned. Things like colors based on velocity.

Couldn't quite get it to work right, I don't think. The interface was very confusing, and I tend not to have patience for that kinda thing. Hence why my simulator is so straightforward: "Ooh a planet button, I'll click it! Now I'm adding planets!!" They're all: "Press F6 to start recording" Huh?

Seems they're also more focused on presets with massive amounts of particles. Galaxies, really. And not so much on the 'make your own solar system' thing. But I might be missing something.

Worth a look, though (and free, at that). Lessons learned here: space can be very pretty... and make sure a user can dive right in.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I'll take a look. I do remember seeing this when I was younger. I'll fiddle around with it. If I manage to make my own solar system, I'll be sure to let you know!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012