Alpha in the Wild!

What did you draw?
NealCruco

Re: Alpha in the Wild!

Post by NealCruco »

I took #5. Thanks for the gift!

EDIT: So I downloaded the game and messed around with it a bit, and here's some feedback:
First, I can find no way to exit the game when running in full screen. I have to hit the Windows key to forcibly minimize the game, then close it from the taskbar.
Next, when I am running the game, whether in full screen or windowed mode, the game is pillarboxed, and the edges of the game window are cut off, even though my screen resolution (1366x768) is apparently supported. That's more than annoying- some features are unusable due to that.
Also, why do I have to pick a fixed window size in windowed mode? Why can't I just resize or maximize the window like any other?
And that green FPS text in the lower-right of the window is really distracting. Please move it and/or allow the user to turn it off. I don't care about FPS.
Finally, I'd like to say that I love your game. It's quickly become the time-killer of choice for me, as it's rather addictive. I know it's in alpha right now, so I'm not mad at all the issues.
Last edited by NealCruco on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Oh, hi! Welcome to the forums!
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

exfret wrote:Oh, hi! Welcome to the forums!
I assume that's directed at me? Thanks!
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Took #6. I might want it later, and by then all of them will be taken! Will DL tomorrow.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Potentially my most simple and small suggestion yet:

Move the updater/version window to the left a little.
It slightly obscures the *sniff* awesome GSim logo.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Move the updater/version window to the left a little.
Done. (And by 'done' I mean: will be uploaded in the next build... sometime this weekend once I reach a 'it ain't broke' point)
NealCruco wrote:First, I can find no way to exit the game when running in full screen...
Next, when I am running the game, whether in full screen or windowed mode, the game is pillarboxed, and the edges of the game window are cut off...
Also, why do I have to pick a fixed window size in windowed mode?...
And that green FPS text in the lower-right of the window is really distracting. Please move it and/or allow the user to turn it off. I don't care about FPS.
Glad you're enjoying it! And thanks for taking the time to throw some suggestions my way.

Yeah, these sound like pretty big points. Quit button: done. Pillarbox: investigating, seems I have a lot of resolution problems to take care of. Fixed window size: unfortunately a constraint of Unity, the program I'm using to make it. I will check if there are any loopholes, though. FPS: now toggle-able, off by default.

(And again, by 'done' and 'now', I mean 'done on my computer' and 'patch coming your way soon')
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

:(
Oops
Oops
GSim DL Error.png (22.16 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
Win7, 32 bit. DL'd somewhere, extracted after unsuccessfully running the main application, ran, clicked Ok at security, this popped up.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

testtubegames:
Thanks for the quick response.
I can live with the fixed window size, though it would be great if you could change that. Glad the quit button and FPS text are fixed. Once the pillarboxing is fixed, I can stop using the web version.

I've found two other window size-related bugs.
1. When running in windowed mode using certain sizes, the game isn't pillarboxed. Instead, there are vertical lines running down the screen at each end- maybe seven or eight on each side. They cover up controls like the Pause and Asteroid buttons, but bodies like stars and planets pass over them. Just cosmetic, but annoying.
2. When running using a big window size like 1366x768, the window appears bigger than my screen. By that, I mean the edges of the window are off-screen. Annoying.

Here's how I see the game in each window size you support. These screenshots show exactly what shows on my screen, so they show things like the two bugs I just mentioned. The size shown is at the beginning of each image name.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

NealCruco wrote:...more resolution issues...
It's more of unities constraints than his game. For now, the best resolution mode I can find is 720x480 windowed, which has no features blocked off.

Andy, I'd suggest that if you can't find a loophole, try adjusting your game to match unities constraints.

Another suggestion:
Make the TTG button open a window to the website.
Currently doesn't do so!
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

wtg62:
720x480? That isn't an option in the config window. The only size that I've found to work well is 640x400. It doesn't show either bug. But that's too small to play easily- even smaller than the web version. I'll be sticking to that until these issues are fixed.
wtg62 wrote: Make the TTG button open a window to the website.
Agree. That would be handy.