GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

Post by testtubegames »

Two updates for the price of one? Whaa?

Nah, just testing out a possible fix to the auto-updater. Presumably you'll all have the same problems you did before when you try to update to 0.29.01. So Humble it up.

But I hopefully fixed it so the 0.29.02 update should work fine. (The only thing that'll change when you upgrade to 0.29.02 is the listed version number.)

GSim 0.29.01

New:

-Dust! Basically a shorthand for 'adding a lot of massless objects quick-and-easy'.
-Swanky new menu screen
-Stars now glow, asteroids have an asteroid-y shape
-A bunch of bug fixes (ran down that list wtg posted the last time)

Still to come:

-Dust doesn't save yet. I'll be interested to hear what types of things you make with it, which will give me a better sense of how to save/load it.
-Black Holes
-Make the planets be not-just-circles... maybe switchable options between simple circle, Jupiter-like, earth-like, etc.
-Given how well dust works, might use that to make a new collision type (with fracturing) as we discussed.
-...and all the rest of the stuff on the suggestions thread.

Edit - realized I said I 'ran down the list wtg posted'... but there were a couple things that haven't made it in (yet?). 1) I like the idea of type-able input for the new sliders. b) Reset time, not entirely sure how useful that would be. I did fix the clock so it doesn't tick until a *moving* object has been placed down, so that might help keep the times lower. 3) And showing the planets names as labels: yes, like!
A Random Player

Re: GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

Post by A Random Player »

Updater works. Warning: Awesome new background!
Checking out now.

Bug: Dust doesn't move with center of mass. Artifact of keeping dust in a separate list, maybe?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

Mine just stays at 0% and doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm using a mac. I also put it in the applications folder if that changes anything.
It appears that you've got a Herobrine bug in the auto-updater: Each update you try to get rid of it and fail.

GSim 2.45.23
+Special Relativity works when viewing Universe in 5 dimensions
+Now compatible with Celestia
+Multiplayer now works using gravity laws involving implicit and differential equations
-Reduced size to under 5000 megabytes on lowest graphical settings
-Removed 3-Body Problem for gravity laws involving integrals and derivatives
-Removed Auto-Updater Bugs (C'mon, it's gotta work sometime)
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

-The menu thingy on the right flashes at me when I make it change the page it's on (e.g. I'm on help and I click on examples) and when it first starts out. This makes the GSim seem buggier and doesn't give a good first impression.
-Canceling on the loading screen should bring you to the menu if you went there from the menu.
-The menu is kind of just there. It doesn't really tie the sim together. What I mean is that there's not really a reason to go back to it, and there's only only little small button in the lower righthand corner that leads to it.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Bug: Dust doesn't move with center of mass. Artifact of keeping dust in a separate list, maybe?
Indeed! It's a new array, and I forgot to cycle through it in the center of mass function. An easy fix in the code.
exfret wrote:It appears that you've got a Herobrine bug in the auto-updater: Each update you try to get rid of it and fail.
Herobrine? Haha, google tells me that's a minecraft thing, eh? I like having the concept of the 'eternal bug', though. And just to clarify, this was not working going from 0.29.01 to 0.29.02?
exfret wrote:.When I first go in, the menu on the right flashes at me.
-Canceling on the loading screen should bring you to the menu if you went there from the menu.
-The menu is kind of just there. It doesn't really tie the sim together.
Ah, right about that flashing bug -- never got around to fixing it... mostly because I couldn't find any good reason for it to be happening. But yeah, a work-around has been added.

Cancel the load screen leads back to the menu, sure, why not.

The menu and the sim -- I kind of like having a menu, but that might just be me. It gives you a nice place to show off things I'd rather leave out of the core game screen: the title, a link to TTG, version numbers, the updater (ahem, once it works consistently), etc. I would like to add more things to this main screen as time goes on, things you would reasonably want to access right when you enter the sim. Maybe one button leads to a list of your saved states. And another leads to "about gravity" lessons. A third leads to some user generated levels. Things you'd want to make readily accessible to someone the first time they pop into the sim.

But it *is* a menu that once you've left, you really don't return to... so I hear that it might feel a bit out of place.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

For the menu, you could add things like about, credits, version changelog, other things that aren't directly related to the simulation.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

testtubegames wrote:-Make the planets be not-just-circles... maybe switchable options between simple circle, Jupiter-like, earth-like, etc.
A value for oblateness ranging from 0 (being a perfect sphere) to 1 (being essentially a disc)?
exfret wrote:+Now compatible with Celestia
Next up, SpaceEngine.
exfret wrote:It appears that you've got a Herobrine bug in the auto-updater: Each update you try to get rid of it and fail.
Except he isn't pretending it's there. (Or is he? :P)

Also, the auto-updater works! Awesome!
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Found a bug!

When a star merges with another planet/star, it becomes a planet.
Maybe if the star is more massive than the planet, make the merge result a star? Otherwise, a planet?

Suggestions:

Not sure if I brought this up... but...
Tracking/Ptolemy's relative to a selections center of mass? (If multiple objects are selected)

Since dust velocity is done with Shift+Drag, how about making it so dust doesn't spawn until shift is released?
Then when shift is released, it spawns dust with the velocity selected until the left mouse-button is released.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

The updater worked for me (at last). Awesome new menu screen!
Edit: Oops, looks like we've got a cosmetic error on the menu screen. Picture attached.
Attachments
gserror.png
gserror.png (38.7 KiB) Viewed 16513 times
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:
Herobrine? Haha, google tells me that's a minecraft thing, eh?
Heh, that thing... Long story short, it's creepy pasta. Then the minecraft devs decided it would be a bit of a practical joke to, in most major updates' changelogs, add an inconspicuous -Removed Herobrine

Keep in mind this has been in most major updates since... What, beta 1.8?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012