GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

What did you draw?
robly18

Re: GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

Post by robly18 »

As for the whole rotation thing, I demand that we see ourselves standing still on ptolemy mode!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:It says I'm version 29.01 and I did do the download from humble bundle when 29.01 was posted.
Shoot! Thanks for clarifying, exfret. I'm glad to hear it's working for people with Windows, though it seems like macs still need some work.
robly18 wrote:As for the whole rotation thing, I demand that we see ourselves standing still on ptolemy mode!
No doubt! Also reminds me that I'd like to allow you to select a rotating frame of reference (by following two objects instead of one). That'll make it easier to see things like Lagrange points.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

The dust might be disappearing because objects have oversized collision areas (or "hitboxes").
I noticed that if dust hits a large star, it doesn't disappear where the star appears to be "solid", but rather at some random point (presumably, the oversized "hitbox")
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

wtg62 wrote:The dust might be disappearing because objects have oversized collision areas (or "hitboxes").
I noticed that if dust hits a large star, it doesn't disappear where the star appears to be "solid", but rather at some random point (presumably, the oversized "hitbox")
I vaguely remember Andy saying that dust is deleted when force gets too big (a rather small threshold in this case, bec)ause it is only calculated once per second instead of 40 or whatever fps you have. I would link, but apparently "force" is too common of a word to search.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

It's in this thread, near the bottom of the last page...
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:I vaguely remember Andy saying that dust is deleted when force gets too big (a rather small threshold in this case, bec)ause it is only calculated once per second instead of 40 or whatever fps you have. I would link, but apparently "force" is too common of a word to search.
That's right. If I didn't set the force limit so low for the dust, they'd tend to fly right through stars and off the other end of the screen. Generally, this dust-disappearance isn't *that* noticeable when you're running at the standard timestep, with a mass 1000 star. When you go really slow, though, you can notice it pretty clearly... I'll fix this issue by linking the max-force with the current timestep.

And maybe we'll just say that the dust is getting pulled apart by tidal forces. (Oh wait, that means I need to add tidal forces, oops)