GSim 0.30.01

What did you draw?
A Random Player

Re: GSim 0.30.01

Post by A Random Player »

exfret wrote:Another bug: Stuff is merging when merge is off (I'm on protoplanetary disk w/ c low, so you may just have to add in non-merging for black holes, at least until whatever is merging w/ the black hole gets to its center).
And Yet another bug: I keep on trying planetary disk with c=10, but I get a different-sized black hole every time!!! (I bet ARP would get a giant blue hole (of death)).
Edit: Well, it's more consistent at 0.1x speed (I was running it at 1x), so more of an imprecision issue. Or, not really an issue, because who's gonna expect the sim to even run a hundred or so planets with relativity and spit out the same black hole every time?
-Edit: Switch the home button with the examples button. It makes more sense.
Bug: In the load code, it pastes what you're trying to paste twice.
Protoplanetary disk is randomized.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

Well, that didn't matter much, cuz at 0.1x speed, I was getting much smaller black holes. Are the masses randomized, or just the positions and speeds?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

I think the masses are random as well.
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Yay bugs! Comments on some of them:
exfret wrote:Could you have make the ability to turn off making things larger when you zoom out.
It appears when I try to fling something faster than the speed of light, it just sets its velocity to 0.
After zooming in as much as I can without having the Black Hole envelop my screen, I put an asteroid near the event horizon, and it just disappeared.
Wait, so you zoom out and certain things get bigger? That's strange, they should get smaller. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
The faster than light thing should only set the speed to 0 when you're trying to make an impossible circular orbit -- but you're right, it would make more sense to just have a max speed, instead of setting it to 0.
I'll check out the disappearing asteroid -- might be that the event horizon isn't *quite* drawn in the exact right place. Would lead to the objects disappearing from the screen just a bit earlier than expected. I'll play around with it.
A Random Player wrote:Weird bug: Set c to 25 (at least that's what I'm on right now). Put a mass 1000 star, and another so they merge. Since total velocity was 0, they don't move. But add another one, then they move a bit.
Yeah, this has been something that I've been improving bit by bit. (At first it was really bad -- they'd move a lot, and momentum was clearly not conserved.) There may be some amount of this that's due to necessary imprecision (in which case the problem would lessen if the timestep were shrunk). Or there may be some calculation I need to tweak. I'll keep working on that.
exfret wrote:Another bug: Stuff is merging when merge is off
Ooh, right. I simplified things and make it auto-merge, since black holes need to merge. But I can make merging just happen when one of the two colliding bodies is a BH.
NealCruco wrote:I found a small bug. Tab hides the UI, right? Well, it doesn't hide the sfx button.
Thanks!
Stargate38 wrote:I think the masses are random as well.
Yup, it's all randomized -- the masses, the positions, the velocities. So you should get different black holes at the end of the day. Not to say there aren't errors/imprecision that's affecting things, too, though.
exfret wrote:Well, that didn't matter much, cuz at 0.1x speed, I was getting much smaller black holes. Are the masses randomized, or just the positions and speeds?
Might be an issue with precision, then. If the timesteps are too big, the black holes might collide with one another after they are *closer* than their event horizons would allow. Which would make things turn wonky -- namely *more* energy in collisions, and thus bigger black holes. I imagine this is at the heart of a lot of these problems.
exfret

Post by exfret »

By get bigger, I meant the way things don't decrease their size at the same rate as the grid, so you can see them better, but sometimes this makes it hard to see where they'll collide this way, so I want a way to turn it off so their relative size stays the same (I wasn't talking about screen size).
I thought it was the event horizon for the disappearing asteroid at first, but it was easy to get objects to escape the black hole near where the asteroids started disappearing, so that doesn't make sense.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Found a bug.

When trying to select dust and spawn in dust, nothing happens.
Then when you try to spawn something else (i.e. an asteroid), nothing happens either.

Seems selecting dust makes it so you can't spawn anything.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Found a bug: The first dust placed in tracking/Ptolemy mode doesn't follow the view (velocity randomized relative to aether). Also don't forget to fix the dust doesn't relativity bug :)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Seems selecting dust makes it so you can't spawn anything.
I just checked, and yeah, it happened for me, too. Silly program, you're not supposed to break like that.
A Random Player wrote:Found a bug: The first dust placed in tracking/Ptolemy mode doesn't follow the view (velocity randomized relative to aether). Also don't forget to fix the dust doesn't relativity bug :)
Oh, wow, that's a hilarious bug. I was very confused about what you meant... but it was clear as day when I tried it. The rebellious bit of dust that refuses to conform. Actually an easy fix.
And thanks for the dust/relativity reminder. I'll try to get a new fewer-bug version out in the next couple weeks.