One reason why you should add a way to view space-time curve

What did you draw?
robly18

Re: One reason why you should add a way to view space-time c

Post by robly18 »

19683 wrote:
robly18 wrote: Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.
Or teach us how to code because I WANT THIS DONE

Also, I wonder if moons would live longer than their planets, seeing as they are in constant movement.
I don't think moons would live longer, because they are moving against the planets orbit half the time.

If you want to learn coding (so do I), Andy uses action script 3. I'm as frustrated as you are about how slow the programming is.
Remember, the satellites don't move only "horizontally" so to speak, relative to the planet, their orbits also form a wave of sorts.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:
19683 wrote:
robly18 wrote: Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.

Also, I wonder if moons would live longer than their planets, seeing as they are in constant movement.
I don't think moons would live longer, because they are moving against the planets orbit half the time.

If you want to learn coding (so do I), Andy uses action script 3. I'm as frustrated as you are about how slow the programming is.
Remember, the satellites don't move only "horizontally" so to speak, relative to the planet, their orbits also form a wave of sorts.
I did a small simulation in the simulator, and both the planet and moon escaped together. I did it by putting two stars on top of each other, putting a planet in a relatively circular orbit (not easy without the c tool!), put a moon around that (even harder than the planet), then after the system was stable, deleted one of the stars.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:
19683 wrote:Stars could have "lifetimes", so that after a certain time has passed, they explode and collapse.

You could also put "life" on planets, then see how long it survives.
Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.

(Written from an undisclosed location, in my underground bunker:)

Adding relativity to the gravity simulator? So that a massive star will age at a particular rate depending on the gravitational time dilation at its surface? I totally agree that would be rad. Though I can't really see the gravity simulator morphing into a general relativity simulator... I'd love make a GR sim at some point, but these features sound different enough to make a whole new (neat) separate project.

I did, however, stumble across an awesome book this weekend about orbits in GR and such -- and it certainly tempted me...

Aside from GR, adding in "life" could be neat from a Goldilocks zone point of view. Planets close to stars glow red hot, once in temperate regions are green and lush, and far ones turn icy.
19683 wrote:If you want to learn coding (so do I), Andy uses action script 3. I'm as frustrated as you are about how slow the programming is.
I'll second that! I'd love to be able to crank 'em out faster.

Yeah, I've really enjoyed working with actionscript. For those interested, there's a really nice tutorial that gets you started making a game here
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

testtubegames wrote:Yeah, I've really enjoyed working with actionscript. For those interested, there's a really nice tutorial that gets you started making a game here
Ooh, now I really want to start using flash instead :D
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!