Post by robly18 »

Lagrange points in r^0

Please.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: One reason why you should add a way to view space-time c

Post by testtubegames »

Space-time Curve? Do you mean that in a general relativistic sorta way? Or are you just talking about drawing the topography of the gravity wells?

By the by, I couldn't find much in the way of "non r^-2 LP discussion", but a quick back-of-the-envelope check showed me that there *are* indeed Lagrange Points in r^0, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they're much easier to find than in the case of r^-2. Fewer squared denominators makes life easier. Maybe I'll check my math by seeing if I can get them to work in the simulator...
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:Space-time Curve? Do you mean that in a general relativistic sorta way? Or are you just talking about drawing the topography of the gravity wells?

By the by, I couldn't find much in the way of "non r^-2 LP discussion", but a quick back-of-the-envelope check showed me that there *are* indeed Lagrange Points in r^0, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they're much easier to find than in the case of r^-2. Fewer squared denominators makes life easier. Maybe I'll check my math by seeing if I can get them to work in the simulator...
Yes, the topography of the wells. Didn't quite know what to call them, and that wouldn't fit in the title anyway.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:
testtubegames wrote:Space-time Curve? Do you mean that in a general relativistic sorta way? Or are you just talking about drawing the topography of the gravity wells?

Yes, the topography of the wells. Didn't quite know what to call them, and that wouldn't fit in the title anyway.
I think gravitational potential would work. But that doesn't fit.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

Post by 19683 »

General Relativity would be cool too.

Please. ;)
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))
robly18

Post by robly18 »

19683 wrote:

Please. ;)
Perhaps with the ability to use clocks on bodies, make stars emit photons and give you a higher range of mass. I want to make a star so massive that light can't escape. This would actually be a nice way to study black holes.

Post by 19683 »

robly18 wrote:
19683 wrote:

Please. ;)
Perhaps with the ability to use clocks on bodies, make stars emit photons and give you a higher range of mass. I want to make a star so massive that light can't escape. This would actually be a nice way to study black holes.
Stars could have "lifetimes", so that after a certain time has passed, they explode and collapse.

You could also put "life" on planets, then see how long it survives.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

19683 wrote:
robly18 wrote:
19683 wrote: General Relativity would be cool too.

Please. ;)
Stars could have "lifetimes", so that after a certain time has passed, they explode and collapse.

Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.
Or teach us how to code because I WANT THIS DONE

Also, I wonder if moons would live longer than their planets, seeing as they are in constant movement.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:
19683 wrote:
robly18 wrote:

Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.

Also, I wonder if moons would live longer than their planets, seeing as they are in constant movement.
They would probably either get eaten first (assuming stars will enter red giant phase) or get flung from their orbits, lasting quite a long time, if not forever. Unless they're smashed first.

To code: Get pygame, and learn about Python with its awesome tutorial. (you never said in what language!)
Last edited by A Random Player on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

Post by 19683 »

robly18 wrote: Andy, you have two options unless you want us to break into your house:
Start coding this. Now.

I don't think moons would live longer, because they are moving against the planets orbit half the time.

If you want to learn coding (so do I), Andy uses action script 3. I'm as frustrated as you are about how slow the programming is.