Gsim runs very slow on macbook air :(

What did you draw?
Andromeda

Gsim runs very slow on macbook air :(

Post by Andromeda »

Hi
anyone else running the full version of Gsim on macbook air? how fast is it? For me its alot SLOWER than the web version lol. This doesn't seem right... am i missing something? i bought the full version hoping to be able to speed up time and mess around more but its disappointing to see the full version runs horribly slow on my macbook.
running it on macbook air 2011 with no other programs running.
i must be missing something here..
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Gsim runs very slow on macbook air :(

Post by testtubegames »

Hmm - odd. Sorry to hear that's happening!

The program should run a lot smoother and faster than the web version, indeed. It works fine on my Macbook Pro - I've got an air I can try it on this evening. Hopefully that can help me track down what's going wrong.
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

ok sounds good
can't wait to try it :D
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

thought id do a quick update on here.
i opened up Gsim on my macbook air again last night and was prompted to update the program
i'm running the

Code: Select all

GSim_OSXUniversal.0.32.4b
and it is still very slow.. no change vs the original

Code: Select all

GSim_OSXIntel64.0.32.3
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Andromeda wrote:and it is still very slow.. no change vs the original
Ha - you beat me to the punch. I doubted the update would fix things - there was an update to Unity, so I figured I'd try a new build. Ah, well.

I tried the sim on a macbook air, and it ran fine, not noticeably different from how it runs on my macbook pro, in both cases much faster than the web version. The air was a bit more recent than yours (2016, less than a year old), so that may well explain the difference. Though, looking at the specs online, no changes are jumping out at me that should really be affecting GSim.

Here are a couple things that could help me track down the issue:
-Errors -- I'm wondering if the program might not be throwing some errors or logs that are slowing things down. Would you be able to send me the player log? It tracks a bunch of the information on how the program is running, and you can find it here: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log (more info) Start up GSim, maybe fling a few planets, and once you notice the lag, you can go grab the log file. You can just PM me the text in that file, if that's the easiest way to send it along.

-Benchmark -- To get a better sense of exactly how much lag we're talking about, we can check the fps that the sim is running at. If you click the clock to load up the time menu, one of the checkboxes is "quality shown". If you hit that, it'll print, among other things, the fps at the bottom of the screen. If you load up "Ex 1: Orbits", what is the fps? How about for the "Ex 5: Line o' Planets"? And for the real cpu killer, "Ex 8: Massive Disk"? (I'll note for reference that 30 fps is the max frame rate, and on my computer the massive disk slows it down to about 18 fps)

Thanks for your help/patience, Andromeda. Sorry we're running into this lag, especially with the wonderful irony that the *free* version is working better for you! So odd.