The List

There are fun science games out there. Right?
A Random Player

Re: The List

Post by A Random Player »

testtubegames wrote: Fe[26]
I just came across this at school while reading about 2048 variants :P It didn't work there though, so I'm going to play it now.

Edit: Neon (12C + 12C) is almost a black hole when you're setting up for Silicon (16O + 16O). Made Magnesium because I was curious, now I have two stuck there. Magnesium is the actual black hole.
Edit: Neon decays to Oxygen, so you can save one 16O.
Edit: Does any of this sound like Agent Higgs to you?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Does any of this sound like Agent Higgs to you?
Yup. When I saw that particle-physics-themed variant of 2048... I thought *wow, what a twist this would have been to Agent Higgs, if only I thought of it first*. Then, it turns out, they didn't really aim to get the physics right. So it seems that field is still wide open :) :H
A Random Player

Hyperbowa wand

http://www.madore.org/~david/math/hyperbolic-maze.html
Run, exfret, and be free!
(found on a discussion on hyperbolic minecraft, which was not implemented yet)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Hyperbowa wand

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:http://www.madore.org/~david/math/hyperbolic-maze.html
Run, exfret, and be free!
exfret can haz Hyperbowa-maze? A very neat find, and fun to explore. I like how there's a goal here, too, and that (being a maze) it relies on your sense of space. (Unlike Hyperogue, which was just you wandering around picking stuff up)

I have to admit, the twist they added about 'looping' got me really confused. I walked in a straight line for 10 paces, and ended up back at the beginning. Huh? Hyperbolic geometry doesn't do that... it's notoriously hard to find you way back to where you started in hyberbolic surfaces. But to keep the map from being infinite, they instituted a looping constraint. (Like how in the asteroids game, you go off one end of the screen, and appear on the other.) The more than anything made this maze confusing.

Also the colors. I'd colorblind, so looking for the different nuanced shades of dots was impossible.

Cool find -- and reading some of the minecraft stuff was fascinating, too.
A Random Player

I would have posted this earlier but I was too busy playing it.

http://lifecompetes.com/
If you've heard of Conway's Game of Life before, just go play. (Standard B3/S23 ruleset, birthing conflicts determined by immigration-style majority, no "conversions" on survival. Not sure about >3 births, but it doesn't happen often.) If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read more:
Wikipedia
math.com
JS implementation
Java implementation (Still enable Java on a day-to-day basis? Don't.)
Conwaylife.com - the GoL resource.

Some example strategies:
- Convert an enemy blinker into a T pentomino - This takes it over
- Destroy a block by adding one cell to make a P pentomino
- Spam R (F) pentominos
Mostly it's just pattern matching, but you can create bots (I haven't figured it out yet).

Also, remember to save the login link (on top) - this is the only way you can get back to your account.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Good find! And... here's a phrase I never thought I would utter:
Time to start spamming some R Pentominos!

... oh crap, someone is attacking my pentominos - this is getting *real*
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh my goodness, Random -- you've taken over the whole board! I can't let this stand. It's r-pentomino time...
A Random Player

I was looking through some science-game related stuff, and found this:
https://hackpad.com/Science-based-games-J0X4MSberlM
Most TTG games are on there, but there are some quite interesting games I've noticed too. For example, Parable of the Polygons, described as being about
•social diversity, racial segregation (and phase transitions)
•agent-based simulation
Quite intriguing. Also, there's a "Quantum Game" prototype:
•quantum mechanics, quantum optics
•puzzle / board / simulator
Sadly it doesn't work, but the demo shows what appears to be a.. Elitzur–Vaidman bomb tester? Not sure. The creator seems to be open to emails, though.
Wait... He says on his site that he was working with "the guy behind Velocity Raptor and Agent Higgs", and a quick check confirms he is that guy! Small world, it seems.

Anyway, check out the games on the first link, if you haven't already.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh yeah, Piotr and I have worked together a little bit, as you noticed. The circuit game didn't really go anywhere, but he's an interesting chap and we keep in touch.

I took a look through that list, one of the ones that stood out to me (and engaged me for a while) was Euclid. Took me a while to realize that there really was a game, not just a free-form line-creation.

The Parable of the Polygons is pretty eye opening, and worth a read / interaction. A good way to share some fairly math-y, and yet at the same time grasp-able and important, research.

The quantum game that Piotr has in mind does indeed revolve around different setups like the bomb tester you mentioned. Basically approaching quantum puzzles like one might approach a circuits game... set up the right paths for the photons, the right polarizers, and the right detectors. It hasn't progressed much past the initial stages, though.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Something in the vein of simulations - this Emoji Simulator is pretty interesting. Reminds me of some other Conway's Game of Life stuff that I've seen, with tons more options. Very extendable. Also much easier to use than any of the other ones.

Check it out here

It's a pretty neat blank canvas for doing interesting stuff. I'll share one example that I came across (from here), ostensibly about overfishing.